According to the research report 2022, approximately 13-14 lac people in India register as cancer patients. With the aim of creating awareness among the public about the importance of cancer detection and treatment, we are writing this article. Continue reading this article for more information on cancer detection prevention methods. In this article, you will learn how preventive diagnostic methods help you get information about the cancer problem so that you can get effective treatment to protect yourself and your loved ones from developing cancer.
- Cancer and its types
- PET/CT scan for cancer diagnosis
- Why PET/CT scanning for cancer diagnosis?
- How do I prepare for a PET CT scan?
- What is the procedure for a PET/CT scan for cancer diagnosis?
- How much time does the procedure of a PET CT scan take?
- The cost of a PET/CT scan for cancer
Cancer is a life-threatening health issue that is known as the second most common cause of death in the world. Every year, around 10 million people die from cancer problems due to delayed diagnosis and delayed treatment. There are various factors responsible for cancer problems, such as lifestyle, diet, other health issues, family history, and many more.
There are various types of cancer. However, we will focus on the most commonly diagnosed and treated cancers each year. The following are some examples of common cancers:
- Breast Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Pancreas Cancer
- Lungs cancer etc.
There are various diagnostic methods to detect the cancer tissues and its extent to get the effective treatment to lower the cancer progression. PET/CT scanning is one of the best methodologies for cancer diagnosis.
PET/CT Scan For Cancer Diagnosis
A PET scan (Positron emission tomography and computed tomography) scan is crucial diagnostic procedure for cancer detection and evaluating the extent of cancer. This diagnostic procedure uses low radiation and a radioactive tracer to detect malignant growth in any part of the body. This test detects the cellular changes in organs and tissues as well as identifying the abnormally active cells. It helps in detecting the cancer and its spread. PET CT scans provide the clear insight needed to diagnose the problem and determine the treatment options.
In this article, you will learn about the benefits and risks of a PET CT scan.
Why PET/CT Scanning For Cancer Diagnosis?
A PET CT scan detects the cell growth. It detects a variety of cancers but not all cancer types, as well as their spread.
- Detect the cancer.
- Confirm whether the cancer has spread or not.
- Identify the area of spread.
- Effectiveness of the cancer treatment
- Confirm the recurrence of the cancer.
- Evaluate the cancer prognosis.
How Do I Prepare For A PET CT Scan?
- The technologist gives you detailed instructions on how to prepare for the PET/CT scan to avoid any complications.
- Make sure your doctor has complete details of your medical history, medications, allergy reactions, medical implants in your body, etc.
- Inform the doctor about your pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- 6-8 hours of fasting prior to the test
- Avoid consuming caffeine-containing products.
- Remove metal-containing accessories from your body.
What Is The Procedure For A PET/CT Scan For Cancer Diagnosis?
- At the very first step, the technologist gives you an injection of a radiotracer such as fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) through your IV line.
- After the administration of the radioactive tracer, you may be asked to sit still in a chair for an hour.
- while the radioactive tracer moves through the bloodstream to your organs and tissues. once your organs and tissues completely absorb the tracer.
- A technologist may give you contrast dye through an IV line to make the affected parts more visible.
- Once the tracer is absorbed by the organs and tissues, the technologist takes you to the scanning room for examination purposes.
- You are asked to lie straight on the scanning exam table that slides into the PET/CT scanner for scanning purposes.
- The scanner takes images, and you will hear buzzing and clicking sounds.
- Once the images are taken, the technologist slides you out of the scanner and gives you instructions to follow after the procedure, according to your medical condition.
How Much Time Does The Procedure Of A PET CT Scan Take?
The complete procedure of a PET CT scan for cancer takes around 1.5 to 2 hours, as it includes the administration of a radioactive tracer, contrast medium, and scanning procedures.
The Cost Of A PET/CT Scan For Cancer
The price of a PET CT scan for a cancer problem is Rs. 22000 to Rs. 30000. At different PET CT Scan Centre, locations in different cities, the price varies.
PET CT scan for cancer is a very useful imaging procedure for detecting or diagnosing cancer and treating it effectively.